It all started when 14 souls accepted Christ during a tent crusade on the corner of Fletcher Ave and 20th Street in Tampa, Florida. Some of the founding members were Mary Reynolds, William Perks, Melrose Doyle, Iris McDonald, Learlene Robinson, Debbie Tyler, Blossie Gordon , Michael Brinley, and Brother and Sister Livingston. Under the leadership of Pastor Larry Johnson, and with the assistance of members of the Progress Village SDA Church a plan for a church was formulated in August 1995.
The Fletcher Ave SDA Church was born when a storefront was obtained at 1515 East Fletcher Ave in the area commonly known as ‘Suitcase City’. The little church grew through divine inspiration. The Southeastern Conference of Seventh-day Adventist voted to have Pastor Ceasar Robinson assist the growing congregation. In March 1996, the USF Episcopal Church became the new worship site for the congregation, and the harmonious hymns of adoration transformed the center.
While worshiping on the USF Campus, the Fletcher Ave SDA Church was renamed the First University SDA Church. First University commonly known as “1U” was a powerful congregation that had community service, personal ministries, and even a literature evangelist training course. On November 30, 1996, the church gained official recognition as the 114th congregation of the Southeastern Conference.
In February 2003, the youth filled congregation purchased a property at 1910,1912 and 1914 East 139th Ave. The church continued the mission of the founding members by serving ‘Suitcase City’ area. On August 24th 2007, the church purchased its current location while under the leadership of Pastor Shimon Taylor.
- Pastor Ceasar Robinson Served 1995 - 1997
- Pastor Larry Johnson Served 1995 - 1998
- Pastor Claude Matthew Served 1998 - 2000
- Pastor Curtis Powell Served 1998 - 2000
- Pastor Lesly Jacques Served 2000 - 2005
- Pastor Shimon Taylor Served 2005 - 2011
- Pastor Anslem Paul Served 2011 - 2014
- Pastor Romel Charles Served 2014 - 2019
- Pastor Byron Wells Served 2019 - Present